follow up: molly’s fleece
I went back to Target and got several more of those lingerie bags. Then I sat on the floor and carefully loaded them up with locks (lined up in rows, not just jammed in there). When I was done I had filled 18 bags, but it was such a small amount compared to the size of the fleece! Next I went downstairs to my washing machine and, using the hottest setting I could, filled the machine up along with three squirts of Unicorn Power Scour. Finally I stuffed all the bags into the washer. I let it soak for about 10-15 minutes, spun out the water, filled it again and added two squirts of Power Scour. I let it soak again for about 15 minutes, spun it out, and then filled the washer again without soap. After giving it a final spin, I emptied the bags and laid the locks out to dry.
- The bags took up a lot of space that could have been filled with more fleece.
- Since the bags were vertical, some of the locks ended up smooshed into a corner instead of staying nicely arranged.
- The bags looked nearly empty once the locks were wet and compressed; seemed like I could have gotten more in there
- The tips were not as clean as I would have liked.
- Packing the bags was very time consuming.
- The fleece was very clean. I have been having issues with tackiness even after washing. I think it worked better this time because I didn’t over-stuff the washing machine.
- The locks were not jumbled up or messy. They are individual and have maintained their crimp and curl.
- The bags were easy to maneuver.
- I will have less picking and sorting to do after dyeing.
I went back to Target and found these stackable, foldable sweater drying racks. They were $5.99 each and quite helpful, especially since I had thought about making something similar myself.